Georgia Children’s Book Award (GCBA) Committee Membership Information
Members of the all-volunteer GCBA selection committee for the Georgia Children’s Picturebook (K-4) or Book Award (Gr. 4-8) must truly enjoy reading children’s literature. Being a member is a lot of hard work, but it is also a lot of fun for those who truly love and understand children’s literature.
GCBA Selection Committee Description
Each committee is comprised of no more than nine teachers, school media specialists, public librarians, and university professors who are children’s literature enthusiasts and have experiences with connecting youth and literature. The committees strive to represent the geographical and cultural diversity of the state of Georgia. Beginning in 2015, committee members are able to serve a three-year term, providing committee members are able to fulfill the expectations of service. At this time, individuals who have completed terms on either of the committees are ineligible.
GCBA Selection Committee Membership Expectations
Serving as a Georgia Children’s Book Award selection committee member is a big responsibility and commitment that is not only personally rewarding but also positively enhances the lives of our youth. All GCBA selection committee members are expected to engage in the following activities:
- attend an initial meeting at this year’s Georgia Children’s Literature Conference (March 23-24) to meet other committee members and review committee processes unless an emergency ensues and we are informed as soon as possible;
- contribute to an initial list of possible contenders by submitting nominations in early to mid-Fall which are added to the publication nomination list. (All committee members read and evaluate—PB);
- participate in two rounds of initial voting by reading assigned books (typically 10-20), submitting “votes,” and completing brief evaluative surveys between late Fall and early January; (Book)
- participate in an initial vote held in November to reduce the number of picturebooks to approximately 40 books; (PB)
- participate in a final discussion and vote which will occur in a mandatory, face-to-face meeting at the University of Georgia (Athens, GA) in late January or early February;
- respond to email or web-based questions and/or requests within 72 hours as well as engage with the committee on an as-needed/desired basis, unless another deadline is shared;
- share, advocate for, and encourage voting for the current and future nominee lists; and
- create content for and present during our committee presentation at the Georgia Conference on Children’s Literature, held annually in March.
The term of service is three years, with an annual review by the committee chair to ensure that committee members are still able to fulfill their committee responsibilities. That said, should unforeseen circumstances occur or responsibilities not be consistently met, committee membership can end at the discretion of the member or the chair.
As a small token of appreciation for committee members’ service, the GCBA Conference will pay for committee members’ conference registration.
GCBA Selection Committee Member Application Process: 2019-2022 Term
If you would like to volunteer to serve on either the Georgia Children’s Picturebook (K-4) or Book Award (4-8) committee for the 2019-2022 term, please complete the application form and click the “SUBMIT” button. The application window will remain open until Tuesday, January 15, 2019 (11:59 p.m. EST). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Invitations to serve on the committee will be sent in early to mid-February, 2019. Due to a high volume of applications, only those invited to serve on the committees will be contacted.