Georgia Children’s Book Award (GCBA) Committee Membership Information
Members of the all-volunteer GCBA selection committee for the Georgia Children’s Picturebook (K-4) or Book Award (Gr. 4-8) must truly enjoy reading children’s literature. Being a member is a lot of hard work, but it is also a lot of fun for those who truly love and understand children’s literature.
GCBA Selection Committee Description
Each committee is comprised of no more than nine teachers, school media specialists, public librarians, and university professors who are children’s literature enthusiasts and have experiences with connecting youth and literature. The committees strive to represent the geographical and cultural diversity of the state of Georgia. Beginning in 2015, committee members are able to serve a three-year term, providing committee members are able to fulfill the expectations of service. At this time, individuals who have completed terms on either of the committees are ineligible.
GCBA Selection Committee Membership Expectations
Serving as a Georgia Children’s Book Award selection committee member is a big responsibility and commitment that is not only personally rewarding but also positively enhances the lives of our youth. All GCBA selection committee members are expected to
- represent their regional schools and communities;
- spend many hours each year in identifying, reading, and critically evaluating books for young Georgia readers;
- be sensitive to and tolerant of perspectives that are different from theirs;
- use state and local library resources to access all of the books recommended for evaluation and/or are included on the reading lists; (The University of Georgia is currently unable to provide copies.)
- have consistent and reliable Internet connection, be consistently accessible via email, and have strong writing skills to support their perspectives and evaluations of each book;
- attend at least one Saturday meeting in late January/early February on the UGA-Athens campus; and
- present at the annual Children’s Literature Conference at UGA, and beginning in 2016, attend an initial committee meeting during the conference
Note: Applicants who are unable to fulfill all of these expectations may be ineligible to serve on the GCBA committees.
As a small token of appreciation for committee members’ service, the GCBA Conference will pay for committee members’ conference registration.
GCBA Selection Committee Member Application Process: 2017-2020 Term
If you would like to volunteer to serve on either the Georgia Children’s Picturebook (K-4) or Book Award (4-8) committee for the 2017-2020 term, please complete the application form and click the “SUBMIT” button. The application window will remain open until Friday, January 13, 2017 (11:59 p.m. EST). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Invitations to serve on the committee will be sent in early to mid-February, 2017. Due to a high volume of applications, only those invited to serve on the committees will be contacted.